The 8 hour SAFE Comprehensive: Mortgage Loan Fundamentals course does not include any state specific content. Some states require a specific number of additional hours above the SAFE Act minimum requirement or require state specific content to meet the annual continuing education requirement. Please review your compliance requirements before proceeding.
Required Continuing Education Hours
As required by the SAFE Act, every state-licensed Mortgage Loan Originator (MLO) is required to complete at least 8 hours of NMLS-approved CE annually. The 8 hours must be taken in the following categories:
Federal law – 3hrs
Ethics – 2hrs
Non-traditional mortgage lending – 2hrs
Elective – 1hr
Important: Some states require a specific number of additional hours above the SAFE Act minimum requirement or require state specific content to meet the annual continuing education requirement: AZ, CA-DBO, CO, CT, DC, GA, HI, ID, KY, MA, MO, MD, MS, NC, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OR, PA, RI, WA, UT-DRE and WV. Click here for a list of providers/courses that offer state-specific content.
The 8 hour course does not include any state specific content. Please click here to review state-specific education requirements.
California Agency Information:
MLOs licensed with California Department of Business Oversight (CA DBO)
BrokerCE offers a course to satisfy the 8-hour CE requirement for the California Department of Business Oversight (CA DBO). Effective 1/1/15, the CA DBO requires 1 hour of state specific continuing education. Individuals should order the "8-Hour CA DBO SAFE Comprehensive Mortgage Loan Fundamentals" course. See the BrokerCE catalog page for additional information.
MLOs licensed with California Bureau of Real Estate (CA BRE)
BrokerCE offers a course to satisfy the 8-hour CE requirement for the California Bureau of Real Estate (CA BRE). The CA BRE does not require any state specific education. Individuals should order the 8-Hour SAFE Comprehensive Mortgage Loan Fundamentals" course. See the BrokerCE catalog page for additional information. Note: The 8-hour course is good for NMLS CE credit only. The 8-hour course will not apply toward the licensee's 45 hour CE requirement to renew his/her Salesperson/Broker license.
The license term is annually ending on December 31st for most states. Click here for more information on state-specific deadlines and requirements.
CE Subject Requirements
- Category restrictions: MLO CE courses must be NMLS-approved. The 8-hour CE requirement must include 3 hours of Federal law, 2 hours of ethics, and 2 hours of non-traditional mortgage lending, plus one additional hour of elective.
- Course presentation: MLOs can take self-study or classroom courses.
- Course delivery: Per NMLS requirements, the course includes a mandatory log-out for inactivity. The course will log the student out after 6 minutes of inactivity. Students will not be presented with a time-out warning.
- Study requirements: Students are required to read all material and answer each set of practice quizzes at the end of each lesson with a score of at least 70 percent before proceeding on to the next lesson. Once all lessons are complete, the student will have access to the final exam.
Final Exam Requirements
- Passing Score: The final exam must be passed with a score of at least 70 percent. If the final exam is not passed on the first attempt, students have an unlimited number of retakes.
- Exam Rules: The final exam does not require a proctor. Self-study final exams are closed-book. MLOs may not refer to the course material while taking the exam.
CE Carryover Allowance
Carryover of CE credits to next renewal cycle is not allowed. CE will only count for the year in which it is taken.
Course Repetition Rules
MLOs may not take the same approved CE course two (2) years in a row.
CE Completion Reporting
Daily Reporting – BrokerCE reports course completions electronically to NMLS every business day.
NMLS charges providers a $1.50 per credit hour credit banking fee for electronic course completion reporting. This fee will be added to the final total at the BrokerCE checkout.
Certificates of Completion
BrokerCE provides online, printable certificates of completion. Certificates of completion will be available to print online immediately after the final exam is passed. Certificates should be kept for a minimum of 3 years from the date of completion in case of an audit.
License Renewal Process
Continuing Education courses can be taken throughout the calendar year, however MLOs must wait until November 1st – December 31st each year to submit renewal applications. Please click here to renew and pay online, and for more information about each state’s deadlines and requirements.
Please click here to view/download the licensee renewal handbook for complete instructions.
Please click here to view the Uniform Individual Renewal Checklist.
If a licensee fails to renew their license by December 31st, NMLS allows for a reinstatement period from January 1st through the end of February. Licensees may renew and pay late renewal fees online. Note: Some states do not allow reinstatement. Licensees should check with their state regulator to find out if they participate in the reinstatement program. Licensees may also check their state’s requirements here.
CE is not required in the same year in which an MLO completes a pre-licensing course. Please click here to view additional information.
NMLS Resource Center
MLO SAFE Requirements and Deadlines Chart
Online License Renewal
Obtain or look up NMLS ID number
View Course Completion/Compliance Record
NMLS Call Center: 855-665-7123
State Agency Contact Information
Last updated on 8/21/2014